Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2004)

Subject: Re: using sendmail / SMTP / errors
From: lee <davislee @ btinternet . com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:41:30 +0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

hello again Todd and everyone who has recently helped and advised me,

Just a little update for you to consider/react to where relevant. My new replies here are prefixed with *:

Todd Olson wrote:

>>BTW  if you manually send mail to list-admin @
incelsite .
com

>from your personal account, does it get there?

>>* Yes, that's fine; it's a genuine mailbox address which I can and do access.
>>------------------------------------------

>>so no more guessing needd on this one.

* Further, I have discovered from him that the same thing happens regardless of whether mailgust is set to send using SMTP or the sendmail binary. This would still not explain my original problem though, where using sendmail on a colleague's domain was causing bounces to go to the original email poster. Along the lines that you and others have tried to tell me, I think Chuck (developer) has said this depends on whether the host's mail server is set to recognise use of the -f option as included / offered in the Mailgust coding. We are currently trying to get the host to answer this question:

"Is it allowed to call sendmail from a PHP script using the following format: /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -f sender @
address .
com ?"

(I am currently unclear as to what -i does)

Good news though; Chuck has told me/us how to change Mailgust's zmail.php file to successfully allow the Return-Path: to be defined as a desired address other than the list address, which indeed appears to work and appear in the headers,
presumably subject to whether -f is allowed on the specific mail server:

from zmail.php: (** used here to highlight the new line, apologies for some line wrap corruption)

function
gmail($from,$to,$subject,$body,$html=0,$att=0,$vfrom="",$vto="",$vcc="",$vdate="",$mid="",$retpath="",$repto="",$addhead="",
$host="localhost",$port="25",$client="",$smtpu="",$smtpp="",$rewrite_head="")
{
global
$zmailOk,$zmailHost,$zmailUser,$zmailPass,$zmailMailer;

if ($vdate=="")
$vdate=date('D, j M Y H:i:s O');
**$retpath= "list-owner @
domain .
com";**
if
($retpath) {
$vfrom=$from;
$from=$retpath;
}
if (!$vfrom)
$vfrom=$from;

$message="";
$eol="\r\n";
//Mail header

-----------------------------------

My understanding is this
SMTP is the protocol. Stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
Sendmail is a program. It speaks SMTP amoung other things and can route mail from
one place to another.
Similar programs are postfix, qmail, exim

I'm quite confused about what you are calling 'SMTP' ... since you indicate you are not talking about the protocol. Have you any pointers to what you are talking about so we can get on the same page?

* yes, this is my lack of understanding here. I think these are my current beliefs:

1) When Mailgust sends mail using its setting to use the sendmail/postfix/qmail/exim binary, mailgust is calling that binary on the host machine by means of a php file. This may or may not be subject to remailing restrictions dependent on how the host has set things up. The binary is indeed part of the outgoing mail server itself, which then sends the mail(s) on to
the recipient using an SMTP protocol connection.

2) When Mailgust sends mail using its setting to use an available SMTP server, mailgust is using an SMTP protocol to reach that mail server much like an email client would. This may or may not be subject to remailing restrictions dependent on how that host has set up the mail server. That server then sends the mail(s) on to the recipient using an SMTP protocol
connection.

As far as I currently understand, the possible advantages of 1) over 2) above may be:

a) A faster connection resulting in swifter mail delivery. I appreciate that any ultimate mail delivery is dependent on the
processing performance of the recipient POP server.

b) It may be a way to avoid SMTP remailing restrictions imposed by a mail server's host.

Lee

--
*The latest fine-tuning of * LEE'S FREE MUSIC STATION <http://music.uk.launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1453474498> *means
even bigger hits, pop and dance - less fillers than ever before*

Indexed By Date Previous: user unknown ?