Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2004)

Subject: Re: mailing with sendmail binary / errors
From: Al Iverson <iverson @ mnjazz . com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:17:36 -0600
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

lee wrote:

Many thanks Nick and also Jim and Bob for your advice so far;

You've all mentioned VERP and related issues, which I am doing my best to understand. Even though what I talk about below seems to ignore my understanding of VERP, I'd be grateful if you could stick with me ...

Regarding your smtp question, Nick; I believe mailgust has been 'temporarily/partly' coded to just absorb any bounces which come back to the mlm. It's acknowledged that the software is incomplete in this area, including my issues with the sendmail sending.

I was talking to the developer yesterday although he is committed to paid work for now, and he asked a question which indeed I have considered but chose to ignore so far - if I am having trouble with mail delivery errors going directly to list zubscribers, how could the current mailgust state be causing this? ie, the list posting address appears in the list headers as the Return-Path, but I know for sure that the bounces I and others are experiencing are definitely not being remailed out through the list.

Lee, could you put an example of a message posted to your list on a website somewhere? With full headers, saved as a text file? All received lines/from lines/return path/etc. visible. Curious to see what this might reveal.

Regards,
Al Iverson