Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2003)

Subject: Re: ATT/Comcast switchover occurring today...
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:50:11 -0700
To: Jeff Wasilko <jeffw @ smoe . org>
Cc: list-owners @ smoe . org, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 10:58 AM 6/30/2003, Jeff Wasilko wrote:
>email address of the 'attbi.com' domain <*cough*>, it's changing to
>'comcast.net'; moreover, said users won't be able to connect and check
>their email (and sadly wondering why no one writes...) until they make
>some manual configuration adjustments, unless they ran the 'auto-config
>wizard', and rebooted this morning.

That auto-config wizard scares me. ATTBI once told me that I had to
install their stuff or I couldn't get help with my connectivity problem,
and explained that their CDROM allowed them to REMOTELY RECONFIGURE
my computer. That's the reason they insist (according to the helpline
person) on removing hardware and software firewalls before rendering
assistance, because they intend to essentially hack into your machine.

All that is required to make the change is to replace the SMTP and
POP servers and enable SSL transactions... USUALLY.

At least one of the mailboxes I was using at attbi.com was already in use
(according to them) at comcast.net, so it's NOT just a matter of changing
the domain name of your subscribers. Their whole address may be different,
and if you just change the domain you'll be spamming an innocent in
some cases. Sigh. Good reason to own your own domain name.

Also, I've confirmed with Comcast that their website is under repair.
Right now I cannot read my email through their web interface since
it's down. They are showing many scripting errors (fatal) on places
like "contact us" and generally look like they're tripping over their
own shoelaces with a poorly-thought-out transition. Telling people
"we won't tell you how to change your email until AFTER your service
has been interrupted" is surely the stoopidest idea I've seen from an ISP.

Steve