Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2003)

Subject: Re: standards for iso encoding subject lines?
From: Brent Chapman <Brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:09:23 -0700
To: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>, List Managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 10:38 AM -0700 6/6/03, Russ Allbery wrote:
Nick Simicich <njs @
scifi .
squawk .
com> writes:

> Just as a point:  This is a really poorly thought out RFC.  You might
> want to decode those in your MTA or mailing list manager before
> forwarding them to your subscribers.  You *can't* safely do so.

Why do you want to do that?  Certainly you're not allowed to do that
within that RFC because doing so would break the e-mail protocol.  The
whole reason why RFC 2047 exists is because 8-bit characters are not
allowed in RFC 822 and RFC 2822 headers.

Let's say I have an archive of email messages to a list, and want to create an index by subject, or to enable searches by subject. How am I supposed to do this if the Subject header is encoded, and I'm not supposed to decode it except for display?

Similar problem with Base64-encoded message bodies (jeez, I hate Outlook).

I agree with Nick here: ISO-encoded subject lines are a "solution" to a non-problem, where the people putting for the solution apparently didn't think through most of the consequences of what they were proposing.

-Brent

--
Brent Chapman <brent @
greatcircle .