Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2003)

Subject: Weird Russian bounces
From: Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:48:45 -0700
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

A Russian list member's account was closed. The member's address was @mail.ru. That mail server is badly mis-configured. Not only does it send the resulting bounce messages to the wrong address (the list posting address!), but it put that member's e-mail address in the "From" field of the bounce messages, making them valid as far as majordomo is concerned. It was as if each bounce message was a reply to an individual list message. This happened on a very active list. Luckily I was watching when the first ones came through and removed that address from the list immediately. It was too late by then to catch a lot of them, since they were delayed about 24 hours and being spooled somewhere. About two dozen of them actually went out over the list. If this had happened when I was away from my computer for a couple of days, it would have been a REAL mess because those bounce messages themselves would have started bouncing too after about 24 hours, creating a loop.
   If you have any list members with addresses @mail.ru, beware.

...Bob

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Spam blacklist