Subject: Educate Me Please
From: "John W. Redelfs" <gazelem @ zionsbest . com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:04:34 -0900
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I've been running lists for many years as the listowner. My first lists were ListServ, ListProc and Majordomo. But for the last few years I've been using such free list servers as Topica.com, Smartgroups.com, and Yahoogroups.com. Today I have decided to go back to paying for my lists. The free servers are just too crappy anymore.

My website hosting service won't run a Majordomo list for me, so I am shopping for a new host. I've found two that I'm interested in but one of them runs Smartlist and the other runs Mailman. I'm probably going to decide between these two companies based on a comparison of the mailing list managers. I'm really not interested in running one on my own machine.

Can anyone here help me with a comparison between Mailman and Smartlist? My main list has 80 members and averages about 26 messages per day. I have a number of other lists, but they enjoy even less traffic.

A couple of other things. I like to administer my lists by email, not on the web. And to me, one of the most important features of a MLM is archives that can be downloaded to my hard drive by FTP.

What do you think? Am I asking the right crowd here? If not, where should I go for answers?

Sincerely
John W. Redelfs, gazelem @
zionsbest .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Are members blocking instead of leaving?