Subject: Re: Are members blocking instead of leaving?
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:52:20 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Bernie Cosell wrote:

In any event: what do you all do with those bounces? I get them, too [in addition to the equally obnoxoius "No thanks" from world.std.com and similar from a few other sites]. Do you forward them back to the original poster or not? I just trashcan the thing. I realize that this means that person A doesn't know that person B never got their message, but, for me, life's too short and this feels like it should be someone else's problem.

I'm saving them in my list-admin email box, and if I decide to confront the AOLuser about AOL's stupid handling of this problem, I'll have the whole lot of them to send to the AOLuser to show what an annoying problem it is. I have a fundamental problem with JHD, I shouldn't have to do that, period.

What I could do [since I have an appropriate mail client -- there are remarkably few that can!] I could 'resent-*' the bounce to the original author and it wouldn't even look [to the casual observer] that I had gotten in the middle of their dispute... but, alas, even that is more bother than I go to [but I'd be willing to modify my behavior here if y'all really thought it was better-practice to pass the bounce on].

I don't think list-managers should have to do special handling to process bounces to go to the appropriate recepient. AOL has chosen to give their Lusers this stupid filtering option without thinking thru the ramifications of bouncing email that a blocked address submits to a mailing list that the AOLuser is subscribed to. I suggest that doing anything to coddle AOL and the AOLuser is wrong, as it will just encourage more such stupidity in the future. We already are having to do more and more mime-stripping to strip away the AOL "feature" of HTML bloated email off our lists. Then we can setup special bounce filtering behavior to send AOL's stupid bounce messages to the appropriate recepient. When will we say ENOUGH!? At what point do we make the AOLuser responsible for their patronage of an ISP that doesn't care about how their software make things harder for the rest of the Internet community?

jc