Subject: Re: Are members blocking instead of leaving?
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:45:39 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 27 Feb 2003 at 12:26, JC Dill wrote:

> ...I have one AOLuser who has blocked email from one
> other subscriber, and when that other subscriber posts I (the list
> administrator) get the bounce message.  This is annoying.  IMHO, if a
> message comes from a list but is being bounced due to the original
> sender, this *particular* type of bounce message should be sent to the
> address that triggers the bounce, not to the list admin.

I have several on my lists and it is actually hard to figure the pattern [since
some of the blocked stuff appears unlikely to be intentional].  I wonder if
they can do wildcard blocks and so do "*.yahoo.com" or some such...

In any event: what do you all do with those bounces?  I get them, too [in
addition to the equally obnoxoius "No thanks" from world.std.com and similar
from a few other sites].  Do you forward them back to the original poster or
not?  I just trashcan the thing.  I realize that this means that person A
doesn't know that person B never got their message, but, for me, life's too
short and this feels like it should be someone else's problem.

What I could do [since I have an appropriate mail client -- there are
remarkably few that can!] I could 'resent-*' the bounce to the original author
and it wouldn't even look [to the casual observer] that I had gotten in the
middle of their dispute... but, alas, even that is more bother than I go to
[but I'd be willing to modify my behavior here if y'all really thought it was
better-practice to pass the bounce on].

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .