Subject: Re: Are members blocking instead of leaving?
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:34:12 -0800
To: "'Angel Rivera'" <angel @ wolf . com>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

 greatcircle .
 com
> [mailto:list-managers-owner @
 greatcircle .
 com] On Behalf Of Angel Rivera

> I am not sure it is a "spam blocking" facility. It clearly
> states it does
> know now the use and returns a 550 which means it is
> permanent. More than
> likely the user went away or deleted that profile and created
> another one.
> Deleting their membership is about all you can do.

It's not a deleted "profile" -- a profile is a screenname is a login is
a user.

It means that the user has set up their mail rules so as not to accept
mail from you -- whether explicitly or, more likely, because they turned
off all non-AOL mail and didn't realize it affected the list's delivery.

AOL does return a 5xx on this, because they want that delivery attempt
to be treated as permanent failure; it does NOT mean the screenname has
been deleted.

I generally log in to AOL and send them mail asking if they blocked us
intentionally, and if so, tell them how to unsubscribe; if they fail to,
I report them to AOL as a ToS violator.
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Klorese;Roger
FN:Roger Klorese
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(650) 931-0707
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;San Mateo;1900 South Norfolk=0D=0ASuite 260;San Mateo;CA;94403
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:San Mateo=0D=0A1900 South Norfolk=0D=0ASuite 260=0D=0ASan Mateo, CA 94403
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:RogerK @
 sychron .
 com
REV:20030121T192255Z