Subject: Re: not about (was Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:10:40 -0800
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw), Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:58:39 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:

> my feeling exactly, and why my real-world analogy for how to run my
> lists is the sports bar, and I'm the bartender. and occasionally the
> bouncer. But it's that kind of "local watering hole" esthetic I'm
> looking for. Not quite Callahan's Bar, but not Cheers, either.

FWLIW I tend to head for something closer to a gentlemen's club (without
the sexist tones) of the sort with leather wingback armchairs, cigar
smoke, and the quiet rustle of newspapers.  I like that added sense of
propriety and formality as a way of building and reinforcing respect and
as an encouragement toward posting higher signal/quality posts (there's
a definite and frequently stated sense on many poster's part that they
"have to live up to the list" and "write posts worthy of the list" etc).
The main problems with this approach is that it automatically defines a
peerage structure and thereby brings in the problems of elder games much
much earlier than for other list formats, as well as making those who
fall away from the list tend to directly target the list's structure and
patterns.

> and that's a big aspect of the community aspect of these things.

Quite.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @