Subject: Re: not about (was Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
From: Doug McNutt <douglist @ macnauchtan . com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:30:39 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 16:55 -0800 2/25/03, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
><x-flowed> . . .

I am a lurker. In fact I don't think I have ever posted to this list. I am here because I want, someday, to create a simple list or two for family and colleagues working a design problem. I have learned a lot.

But, with regard to the original problem, it's not so easy to post to just THIS list.

Edited headers for the message to which I am replying are:

>Subject: Re: not about (was Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
>Cc: bwarsaw @
 python .
 org (Barry A. Warsaw),
>	Tom Neff <tneff @
 grassyhill .
 net>, list-managers @
 greatcircle .
 com
>To: J C Lawrence <claw @
 kanga .
 nu>
>From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com>
>Sender: list-managers-owner @
 greatcircle .
 com

Note that, even for a human reader, it's not so easy to find the list address for a reply. Eudora picks the Return Path header or, with the option key, every e-mail address anywhere even if it results in duplicate mailings. It doesn't know how to  pick out just the list address. There is no Reply To: header which would be used if it were present.

I do some programming and I haven't the foggiest idea how I would write code to pick out the list address by itself. Comparing the domain in the Sender: header with all possible addresses - maybe. Note the line end after the first address in the Cc: header. I use an AppleScript to select the reply address and it misses the second two Cc addresses because it stops on a line end. Actually I think the list software may have incorrectly word wrapped the original. The <x-flowed> option specified by the writer is not honored and the text does not wrap to window size as I see it.

Yes. I am familiar with all the verbiage about munging Reply To: headers  by list software, but if there is no Reply To: in the submission does it not make sense for the list software to add one pointing to the list itself? That way contributors who add a Reply To: header would get direct copies and others would not.

--

--> Life begins at ovulation. Ladies should endeavor to get every young life fertilized. <--