Subject: Re: not about (was Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:53:21 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

J C Lawrence wrote:

As a side issue, one of the reasons I'm looking to tie mail lists, RSS,
and a Slashdot analogue together into one is to provide as close as I
can get to a seamless on-ramp and training ground for new list posters.
I've found that many are more comfortable with web forums, feel
themselves less exposed, and less commited in whatever activity they
take there -- so using that as something of a bridge into more formal
higher signal venues seems to make some sense.

From a list *user's* perspective, this makes a list very unattractive to me.

I've dropped most of my Yahoo Groups lists (all on topics that are of great interest to me, and these lists are the ONLY lists on these topics) mainly because the ability to post via the web interface has led to a lot of newbies who refer to the list as "this site", who fail to quote any of the previous post so we can't tell what they are referring to when they talk about what someone else said, and who are frustrated that instructions on how to attach a photo to their post don't work for them (you can't add an attachment to a post when you post thru the Yahoo Groups website interface), etc. So the lists end up with tons of content-empty posts to these inept newbies (no one understands the concept of "private email"), and it becomes unbearable to try to find the content among all the noise. I have seen many people with clue (both technical clue and topic clue) join the list, post a few times, then dissappear. It's just not worth it to try to participate on a list like that - even when you know your participation is of great value to the list, the personal cost is too high to make it a satisfying venture.

So, I highly suggest you carefully consider these drawbacks as you proceed in your project. If my experiences are anything to go by, most people will end up being the clueless newbies using the web interface, and the other interfaces will be mostly unused as the people with the technical clue on how to use them become tired of the list personality and leave the list.

jc

(eeek! I've deleted 4 cc's on this post. Those of you who want cc's, tough, I feel that it's just plain bad form to reply to a list post and cc 4 other addresses.)