Subject: Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:43:43 -0500
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

 grassyhill .
 net> writes:

    TN> This is kind of a band-aid, though, and a risky one.  For one
    TN> thing, just because a list server THINKS it sees a member
    TN> address mentioned in a recipient header, doesn't actually mean
    TN> that the message got there.  The address in question might be
    TN> set up to only allow mail from the list server, in fact that's
    TN> a common spam protection technique.  In that case the Cc'd
    TN> member would get no copy at all.

But if the member has this arrangement, they'd just not choose
copy-suppression.

    TN> Also, it doesn't take Digests into consideration.

True.  In Mailman's case we don't build unique digests for each
recipient (this is why you can't personalize digest deliveries).

    TN> Unless the list software is custom building digests for each
    TN> digest-mode member, you pretty much have to send them
    TN> everything, whether they were Cc'd in the original or not.
    TN> And in fact it can be quite useful for people who do receive
    TN> the Digest but are having an intra-day exchange of postings on
    TN> some topic to Cc each other as they go, rather than wait a day
    TN> for the answer.

Yep, and in fact that's how I read list-managers, so I appreciate the
extra CC.

guess-i'm-in-that-5%-ly y'rs,
-Barry