Subject: Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS LIST
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:56:21 -0800
To: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 09:09  AM, Charlie Summers wrote:

At 10:52 AM -0500 2/24/03, Rich Kulawiec wasted our time with:

I asked nicely three times -- twice at the bottom of messages, then
once at the top.  That did not appear to be working, hence an explicit
request.

You know, I was going to let this drop, since I didn't want to turn it into an argument, but since it is anyway, I'll chime in.

Rich can ask. he can't demand. Since philosophically I'm strongly against the request he made, I ignore it. Just because he asks for it doesn't mean he gets it, and since I'm in control of my email client (not him), all he can do is ask. And asking in ever louder and more frustrated voices doesn't help him get what he wants, something he should realize by now (at least with me... grin)

That is why I suggested the PROPER way to do this is to fix it on his own local system, since he does have control of it. If you want your email some specific way, set up your system to present it that way. Don't whine at everyone else to change their lives to your convenience -- fix your computer.

Not only is that more effective, because your computer HAS to listen to you and I don't, it's a lot lower on the frustration level, because as rich has to remember from the early days of USENET, educating users DOESN'T FRICKING WORK because every time you educate one, two more pop up who are new and even less capable of understanding why they need to be educated, much less care about what you think. So this "do it my way" strategy is guaranteed to fail anyway, and by trying, you're wasting your own time and energy, and raising your blood pressure at the same time. That's a stupid way to handle something.

Find a way to solve it, not complain about it. And that means doing it using things you CAN control, and that doesn't include the users around you.

directly into the list charter. (Aside to _others_ on the list: Are lists formally chartered anymore? I'm not talking about list guidelines, I mean the
formal USENET-like charter we crafted years and years ago.)

mine are. although some days I wonder why, or if it matters...

Forgive me, but I tend to get a little annoyed when someone tells me how I MUST do something simply because they aren't smart enough to write a procmail filter to eliminate duplicate copies. I (like Mr. Von Rospach) prefer to be
copied directly on list posts to me,

here's why, by the way. I filter all of my list mail to folders, which I can read in my free time, so it doesn't get in the way of my "real" e-mail. If I'm in a conversation (like this one), I WANT a private copy, because it flags to me that a conversation I'm in needs to be looked at. That keeps the threads I'm involved in directly moving forward on a timely basis, without requiring me to plow through all of my list mail wondering if a discussion I'm involved in needs my attention. That's good for the list (IMHO) because it keeps discussions from going stale for six hours and then picking up again.

But if someone doesn't send me a private copy, I don't yell at them. Things might slow down a bit, but the world won't end, either.
--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble. IMHO.
    (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).