From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:35:23 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

--On Monday, February 24, 2003 7:41 AM -0800 Chuq Von Rospach
<chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:
> For what it's worth -- 42% of my incoming email to plaidworks is now spam.
> mail.app on jaguar catches over 99% of that, and I've had maybe 3 false
> positives this month, all e-newsletters from vendors I want sent to me.
> That's easily fixed by adding their addresses to my address book.
>
> The downside of a client solution is I have to download it to process it.
> the upside is I have final say, so I don't lose those three messages to
> some service without knowing it...

I use an IMAP server on my dedicated host, so I kind of get the best of both
worlds on that score - server-side filtering (much more comforting on the
antivirus side) with complete personal control over the config.  The downside
is that if structures fill up etc, I have to page myself at 4am :) but that's
rare.

I never send anything to /dev/null, just to junk folders that I periodically
clean out.  I prefer that because if someone says "I emailed that doc to you
last Monday" and I didn't see it, I always have a dumpster I can dive for it
as a last resort.