From: Blaise de Cormeilles <blaise @ scadian . net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:02:22 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 04:43:32PM -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> 2. I agree with the rest of your comment: (to borrow a bit from what
> you went on to say) I too have great sympathy for the people trying
> to stop the spam -- UNLESS they're also the people responsible for the spam.
> For instance, I have no sympathy at all for Yahoo, since Yahoo Stores
> allows spammers to operate with impunity from its space: doesn't matter
> who reports them, how many times, how clear/murky the evidence is, etc.:
> they do *nothing*.  And then they turn around and tout their anti-spam
> measures to their subscribers.  It would solve not only some/much of their
> problem to take the time/effort/money put into the latter and instead put
> it into clobbering their own pet spammers.
>
> s/Yahoo/XO/
> s/Yahoo/Rackspace/
> s/Yahoo/Verio/
> s/Yahoo/Level 3/
> s/Yahoo/C & W/
> s/Yahoo/ATT/
>
> and so on, with different variations on the theme, but the same song.
> Part of this may be due to economic conditions: turning off a paying
> customer, even a spammer, doesn't go over well when co-lo centers sit
> mostly empty.

Question: how does someone looking for hosting figure out a) which Tier
1 providers are reputable (obviously, XO, Verio, Level 3, and C&W are
right out), and protect against their Tier 2 provider switching to one
of them?  (And changing your host provider is not a simple procedure...)

Jim Trigg
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
                                                  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN