From: nolan @ celery . tssi . com
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:34:49 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

> That analogy doesn't hold.  A more proper analogy would be fighting
> postage-due junk mail, and telephone solicitors calling collect.  With
> spam, the recipient pays (or recipient network pays, and passes the
> cost along).

I guess that bill I get from the local phone company every month doesn't
count?  If I rent a post office box, it gets bulk mail.  Heck, the postal
service will even sell bulk mailers my box number just like the phone
company sells them my phone number.

The issue isn't really whether or not the receiver has to pay for
the undesired use of that facility, it is that there is virtuallly no cost
to the sender of bulk e-mail.

Trust me, bulk snail mail is NOT cheap, nor it is it cheap to maintain
phone banks.  But what's the cost to send out a million e-mails?

> It's like getting telemarketing calls on your cell phone.

As more and more people opt out of land lines completely, telemarketers
are starting to get less concerned about calling cell phones.  (BTW,
is there any law against it?  I've heard/read conflicting statements
on that.)
--
Mike Nolan