From: Jonathan Knight <jonathan @ cs . keele . ac . uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:47:56 +0000 (GMT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> reality: spam isn't illegal.

The JANET acceptable use policy which covers the .ac.uk domains has an
acceptable use policy which specifically denies use of the network for spam.
See: http://www.ja.net/documents/use.html

Any spammer who has .ac.uk domains on the list is making unauthorised use of
the JANET network which is illegal in the UK as I think the
computer misuse act applies (but I'm no legal expert so you'll need to ask a
solicitor if you really want to be certain).

Of course making something illegal and actually enforcing it are two very
different things.

--
  ______    jonathan @
 cs .