Subject: Re: TLS handshake error
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:45:14 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 02:26 PM 2003-02-16 -0700, Bob Bish wrote:

At 01:41 PM 2/16/2003, J C Lawrence wrote:
>      (reason: 403 4.7.0 TLS handshake failed.)
> Would anyone know how to fix this?

Sure, just disable TLS support -- fairly easy, but I also suspect
unlikely to happen.

   Any clues as to how to do so?

TLS.  Generally it is offered as part of a ehlo handshake:

[root @
parrot root]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 parrot.squawk.com ESMTP Postfix
ehlo parrot.squawk.com
250-parrot.squawk.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<NOTE!!!
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-XVERP
250 8BITMIME

It does not need to be offered, nor does it need to be accepted. Conversely, if it is not offered, it can't be a problem.

 He's doing the Right Thing.  Its the remote end
which is being silly.

It may be that both ends are being silly.

This is one reason this problem has remained unresolved for so long: conflicting opinions on this. We've heard it's on our end, no, it's on their end, no, it's on our end, etc., etc.

Exactly which host is this? What name and IP address? If you post that, it is possible that someone could take a look at the certificate that is being offered and offer a guess. It could be an issue with the cert, or it could be just self signed. But I have not seen anything that would allow me to investigate further.

--
SPAM: Trademark for spiced, chopped ham manufactured by Hormel.
spam: Unsolicited, Bulk E-mail, where e-mail can be interpreted generally to mean electronic messages designed to be read by an individual, and it can include Usenet, SMS, AIM, etc. But if it is not all three of Unsolicited, Bulk, and E-mail, it simply is not spam. Misusing the term plays into the hands of the spammers, since it causes confusion, and spammers thrive on confusion. Spam is not speech, it is an action, like theft, or vandalism. If you were not confused, would you patronize a spammer?