From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:52:19 -0800
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

J C Lawrence wrote:

 -- I don't use TMDA on my personal, just on my lists and role
 addresses (-owner, -admin, postmaster, webmaster, etc).  FWLIW this is
 not due to any concern over offense, but rather more simply because my
 SPAM/virus filters are already effective enough to keep my junk rate
 in my personal mailboxes to single digit message counts per day -- not
 enough problem to warrant messing with.

But my role addresses are the ones most likely to be written to by naive users.

And since many lists I get have the reply-to-sender deal where people end up replying to all, they would get confirmation requests that would just be a hassle.

 -- None have complained about either the confirmation process, or the
 fact that they had to confirm.

We get people complaining about having to confirm subscribes and unsubscribes, let alone posts -- not just that it's too obscure, but that it's a hassle and they don't really care what effect it has on our spam.

 -- I use a modified version of the default TMDA confirmation request:
Frankly, when I've gotten a TMDA confirmation request, I've more often gone to the telephone than bothered.