From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:40:03 -0800
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:50:30 -0800
Roger B A Klorese <Roger> wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:

>>> a combination of good whitelists and good spam analysis software
>>> will go a long way towards getting the spam problem under control.

>> Its great stuff -- far better than I'd ever expected.

> I can't imagine almost anyone I know and correspond with being able to
> figure out a TMDA exchange, or for that matter, not being offended at
> having to ask permission to email me.

A few points:

  -- I don't use TMDA on my personal, just on my lists and role
  addresses (-owner, -admin, postmaster, webmaster, etc).  FWLIW this is
  not due to any concern over offense, but rather more simply because my
  SPAM/virus filters are already effective enough to keep my junk rate
  in my personal mailboxes to single digit message counts per day -- not
  enough problem to warrant messing with.

  -- At this point 112 different addresses have been confirmed thru my
  list TMDA setup in the last year (determined by counting the size of
  the whitelist), representing a total posting population on the lists
  handled by that server of approximately 470 (depending on how you
  count it, time periods and the like).

  -- Quick survey of the confirmed address suggests that 3% of them are
  variant addresses for the same human

  -- The total volume of mail that has successfully passed thru my TMDA
  list setup in the last year is ~40,000 messages.

  -- Of those 40,000, 4 messages were trapped by TMDA and not confirmed
  thru by their authors.  In one of those cases the author merely
  reposted from a subscribed address, thus bypassing the TMDA hold.

  -- During that same year I've received a little under a dozen messages
  from posters to the effect of, "I was worried about this, but it
  turned out to be so simple!"  To quote one poster, am economist by
  trade, "If this is all that's involved, then you have nothing to be
  worried about.  It was too easy to even notice."  That's pretty close
  to 10% of the confirming audience.

  -- None have complained about either the confirmation process, or the
  fact that they had to confirm.

  -- I use a modified version of the default TMDA confirmation request:

    From: "%(FULLNAME)s" <%(recipient_address)s>
    Subject: Please confirm your message for final delivery

    THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE FROM A MACHINE.

    Your e-mail message with the subject of "%(subject)s"
    is being held because your address was not recognized by the
    mail filtering system at %(recipient_domain)s.

    To release your message for delivery, please send a message
    to the following address, or use your mailer's "Reply" feature.

       %(confirm_accept_address)s

    You don't need to to anything other than reply to this message
    to have your original message delivered. This confirmation process
    verifies that your message is legitimate and not junk-mail.

    Thank you for your patience and assistance in helping keep the mailing
    list systems at Kanga.Nu SPAM free.

    --- Following is a copy of your message.

    %(original_message)s

--
J C Lawrence
claw @