From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:35:42 -0800
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <amitchell @ habeas . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:25:36 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 06:36 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> I've begun to wonder if that single point will either dictate the
>> re-emergence of pseudo-Usenet (via moderated non-big 5 groups and
>> server-side SPAM controls), or the RSS/RDF/XML-RPC world will win
>> out.

> blogs, RSS and aggregators are already showing us the way towards the
> next phase in all of this, understanding the difference between push
> and pull information. I'm starting to work towards RSS feeds of my
> mail lists, and then I need to find some way to allow RSS-subscribed
> people to post to a list easily (probably through some of the stuff
> we've talked about with TDMA and mailman).

Yup, I've been following a somewhat similar path ala:

     +------------------+
     |                  |
     V                  |
  Mailman<=>NetNews-->Zope-->RSS-->Users
    ^|                  ^           |
    |V                  |           |
   Users<...............+-----------+

Mailman, bidirectionally gated to inn2, Zope with a netnews interface
akin to GMane on the one face and Slashdot on the other, exporting an
RSS feed which points back to Zope which writes entries as messages back
to Mailman.

> mailing lists won't go away, but we're getting some technologies in
> place that'll allow users alternatives to that information that isn't
> generating interrupts unless the users feel it's worth the
> interruptions. having the same information available via push (e-mail)
> and pull (RSS) solves that problem, and allows users access to the
> info without handing over their mailboxes to the message volume of
> lists they aren't as interested in.

Yup.

--
J C Lawrence