From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:16:29 -0800
To: Bob Bish <bobbish @ earthlink . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:51:23 -0700
Bob Bish <bobbish @
 earthlink .
 net> wrote:

> "Free speech" must be applied to all, whether you agree with them or
> not.

You may speak freely, you may not force me to listen.

You may produce packets freely, but you may not force your packets on me
or my networks.

You may spam freely, but you may not force your spam on me or my
networks.

You may spam freely, but you may not lie and misrepresent your spam to
me or my networks.

You may swing your arms freely, but you my not punch me in the nose.

The point where the confusion seems to enter is that email is not a
subscriber business.  To send email to a node doesn't require a prior
relationship asides from simple IP routability.  As such the sender of
an email _is_ trespassing, knowingly, and with conscious intent.
However, the critical difference between spam and other email is that
one has the reasonable if generic expectation of being welcomed by the
recipient.

<wanders off to state the obvious somewhere else>

--
J C Lawrence
claw @