Subject: Re: Hotmail rejections
From: "Michael S. Johnson" <michj @ nausicaa . net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:30:45 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> I've been getting a bunch of bounce messages from hotmail this morning.
[...]
> Is there some way to figure out what this is about?  Has hotmail
> decided that my mailing list is spam?

Hotmail Support <support_x @
 hotmail .
 com> replied to my inquiry with a
message implying that I had complained to them about virus-laden e-mail,
specifically something called "W32/Yaha".  There was no such virus on my
list, of course, but it appears to be a form letter (no surprise).

It is likely that handling this virus has temporarily overloaded the mail
servers' ability to accept mail.

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 support_x @
 css .
 one .
 microsoft .
 com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:36:09 -0800
> From: support_x @
 css .
 one .
 microsoft .
 com
> To: michj @
 nausicaa .
 net
> [...]
> ur my best friend thats why sending to u..
> check it..just run it..enter victim's address and u will get the pass.
>
> hi,
> check the attached love screensaver
> and feel the fragrance of true love..
>
> Hi,
> check the attached screensaver..
> its really wonderfool..
> i got it from freescreensavers.com
>
> Hi,
> check the attached screensaver
> and enjoy the world of friendship..
>
> The name of the attachment file can be one of the following:
>
> Love.scr
> Hotmail_hack_exe.scr
> Friend_finder_exe
> Be_happy.scr
> Sweet.scr
> Shake.scr
> World_of_friendship.scr
> Friendship.scr
> Funny.scr
> Free_Love_Screensavers.scr
> The_Best.scr
> Codeproject.scr
> SQL_4_Free.scr
> I_Love_You.scr
> Hardcore4Free.scr
> xxx4Free.scr
> Screensavers.scr
>
> Unfortunately, we cannot determine the true source of such mails as
> these has the ability to spoof e-mail addresses. This means that when
> it attempts to send copies of itself out via e-mail (via the infected
> computer's default SMTP server), it chooses a random e-mail address
> from an address book and uses it to send copies of itself to the other
> entries in the address book instead of the e-mail address of the
> infected user. This makes the virus very difficult to track.
>
> Note: Hotmail detects most viruses, but new ones are created all the
> time. We update our software with McAfee regularly, but as new viruses
> come into being, some viruses may pass through undetected. The best
> way to protect yourself is not to open an attachment from someone you
> don't know or from a suspicious address.
>
> If your computer has anti-virus protection software installed, we
> recommend that you contact the support group of your anti-virus
> software to get the latest signature file, which can help protect your
> computer. In addition, we also suggest you download the latest
> Microsoft updates.
>
> To download the latest updates for your Microsoft software, please
> visit the following sites: http://www.windowsupdate.com and
> http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates/.
>
> I hope that the support information I have provided with the reason
> for receiving virus mail is helpful. If you have any additional
> questions or need further assistance, please reply to this message.
> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Michael, please remember that MSN Hotmail also has comprehensive
> online help--just click Help in the upper right corner.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Jose
> MSN Hotmail Customer Support Representative

 nausicaa .
 net
> To:  support_x @
 css .
 one .
 microsoft .
 com
> Sent:  Mon Feb 10 16:59:51 UTC+0900 2003
> Subject:  NAUSICAA: error report from MAIL.HOTMAIL.COM (fwd)
>

> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> What is the nature of this outage?  Is this the same bug that rejected
> mail on August 24th, 2002 for several days?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Michael
[...]