Subject: Re: Majordomo hole my rear end!
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ vjs . org>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:33:33 -1000
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

** Sometime around 15:06 -0500 02/07/2003, Nick Simicich sent everyone:

You know, I have another alert: You might have meant for no one to sign up for this list, but the default is to let people sign up! The most restrictive defaults should be picked in all cases, of course, so the default should be to not let people sign up! And to not let people use the list at all! And to restrict all English words from being in a posting, because if people are allowed to use language in mailing list postings, they could accidentally give away secrets!

Nick,

I agree with your overall assessment that the "security alert" is B.S. However, default settings should be reasonable. For example, setting defaults so that no one can sign up for a new list is arguably not particularly useful in most cases [1]; OTOH, defaulting which_access to closed/list/private/something-anything other than "open" is probably smarter than defaulting it to open.

Other comments still apply, including RTFM/RTFDOC when setting up a server of any sort. And as we all know, sysadmins have nothing but time on their hands... ;-)

Vince Sabio                                                  vince @
vjs .
org

[1] Yes, I know you were merely making a point. I borrowed your point to make another one. ;-)