Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers @ greatcircle . com?
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:03:45 -0500
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Charlie wrote,

|    Um...please understand, I cannot stand OE. And I cannot speak to the
| Windoze version of the thing, but I _have_ installed/configured the
| Macintosh version (5.02), and it _can_ filter on arbitrary header fields.

Outlook Express for Windows cannot; this is version 6.0, and I started with
4.something, which couldn't either, nor could 5.0 or 5.5.

My personal solution is to receive mail from lists at shell accounts, where
procmail drops them into folders that OE reads via IMAP.

Before anyone attacks me for using OE at all, I started using it because it
was *there*, and by now I'm too entrenched for a change to be easy, and I've
yet to see anything where the potential improvement over OE is worth the
learning curve plus the adjustment.  But I am not championing it nor even
defending it.