Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers @ greatcircle . com?
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:38:53 -0400
To: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 11:17 AM -0400 6/17/02, Bernie Cosell is rumored to have typed:

> But of course, *neither* of those is of any use for folks who inflict OE
> on themselves -- a meta question:  Is there *any*other* mail client that
> _cannot_ filter on those headers?  OE is the only one I know of, but
> there are undoubtedly more, I suppose...

   Um...please understand, I cannot stand OE. And I cannot speak to the
Windoze version of the thing, but I _have_ installed/configured the Macintosh
version (5.02), and it _can_ filter on arbitrary header fields.

   Under the Tools menu, select Rules. Create a new rule, name it. Under the
pop-up, select either "Specific Header" and fill in the header field name, or
select "Any Header"; either way, fill in the contents of, say, the list's
message (move it, copy it, eat it, whatever). Make sure it's Enabled, and
close the Rule and then the Rules window.

   Unlike Eudora (at least the old 3.1 I intentionally use to avoid HTML,
javascript, OLE...er...ActiveX, etc., etc.), it doesn't open windows for
those "folders" it transfers things into, but it does enbolden the folder
name.

   I would _never_ recommend OE to anyone (I think it's clunky, stilted, and
has less features and more security risks than an email application from
1997), but in fairness, at least in the Macintosh version, it CAN filter on
arbitrary header fields.

         Charlie