Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers @ greatcircle . com?
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:32:49 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (list-managers @ greatcircle . com)

Chuq wrote,

> Fair enough. I don't care if others want it. I do care if they feel they can
> force it on those that don't want it because they do.

Michael, your contentment with getting it on his own copies is refreshing.
In my experiences, not only have all those who proposed tagging opened the
subject by demanding that it be the law of the list, but they've been
noticeably disappointed to learn it was an option and that the rest of the
list would continue to survive without it.  They had to face up to its being
a personal preference and not the superior way.

I swear you're the first one I've ever seen actually walk away satisfied with
getting tags on his own copies instead of acting deflated and defeated be-
cause they wouldn't be forced on everybody else.

Michael wrote,

| My MUA can filter on it, but if I automatically move mail away from my
| Inbox to other folders, I forget to read them.  Out of sight->out of mind.

If the list software didn't support it as an option, the solution to that is
to set up a filter that catches your incoming copies of the list's distribu-
tions by the Sender: header and then adds the tag.  Heck, that's how I remove
the tags from my copies of posts from lists that insert them on all posts.

| That's not an MUA problem.  That's an attention deficit problem.  Dare to
| suggest an MUA that solves that problem?

Surely there are MUAs that call one's attention to new mail in other folders.