Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers @ greatcircle . com?
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:44:49 -0700
To: Brent Chapman <Brent @ greatcircle . com>, "Michael S. Johnson" <michj @ nausicaa . net>, "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 6/16/02 10:37 PM, "Brent Chapman" <Brent @
 greatcircle .
 com> wrote:

> I have now defined it, so that those users who want it can enable it.
> Those that don't, like Chuq and myself, can stick with the default,
> which disables it.

Fair enough. I don't care if others want it. I do care if they feel they can
force it on those that don't want it because they do.

>> Otherwise, why be such a grouch about it?
>
> Probably has something to do with hockey season being over...  :-)

No, it's having fought this fight dozens of times over the years on various
lists, and knowing that every time I survey ALL of the users, and not just
those demanding I add these bloody subject line flags, that the % of users
who actually want it will be under 15% of the total subscribers. But that
15% feels they're preference overrides the much larger group that DOESN'T
want it.

It's a squeaky wheel thing. Like most other humans, list admins don't want
justice, they want quiet. So squeaky wheels tend to get what they squeak
for. And to even the tally, I got squeaky back.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier.