Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: Subject prefix for list-managers @ greatcircle . com?
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:38:39 -0400
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 10:01 PM 2002-06-16 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
On 6/16/02 9:35 PM, "Michael S. Johnson" <michj @
nausicaa .
net> wrote:

> Does this list have a subject prefix defined?  If not, I would like to
> request that it define one.

And if you do, I'll probably leave. Learn to use filters, don¹t force the
system to muck with the subject line to do something only a small percentage
of list users want.

The joy of Majordomo2, which this list is apparently being run under based on the flags reported (I just verified it), is that subject prefixes and reply-to are an individual option (overridable, of course, based on site preference, but if a user likes reply-to or subject prefixes they can set them). Defining the subject prefix does not force it down your throat. It just allows those who want one to get one.

The default subject prefix is [listname], in this case [list-managers]. I have no idea if they have set this to null because they have some religious opposition. I see that they are offering three kinds of digests so they are probably not completely into doing all splitting in the MTA.

And, yes, that means that if the list has all combinations of users set, that there will be a message dropped into the MTA for those who want neither reply-to nor subject prefix, one for the both crowd, one for the reply to but not subject prefix group and one for the subject prefix and no reply-to group. It works real well.

http://www.greatcircle.com/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr/domain=greatcircle.com

Is the management URL for users, by the way. I had to guess at it. Do a "forgot my password" and confirm, and then you can set your options as you choose.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill
Nick Simicich - njs @