Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: re-appearing old mail?
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:03:13 -0400
To: Vivek Khera <khera @ kcilink . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 11:06 PM 2002-06-16 -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
> [...]
databack .
com> writes:

BL> Is anyone else seeing the re-appearance of old messages on
BL> discussion lists (or just old messages re-appearing in their
BL> inbox)?

The usual cause I've experienced is some broken mail system that uses
the "To:" header (not the SMTP envelope recipient) to deliver the
mail.  When it sees the list address it just re-sends the message to
the list.  Usually these types of systems hide behind a single ISP
email account and then "burst" the messages to their local users based
on the "To" header.  Obviously, it is very easy to write broken
software, and the rest of the world gets to suffer.

Unless this is a policy suddenly taken up by a large number of people at rr.com, I doubt it is the case this time. Do these systems also reconstitute the "Mail From:<>" addresses as well?

The quick fix is to track down the offending address and remove it
from your list.

Well, I can understand that if that was what was happening. I might even be tempted to do that in this case.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill
Nick Simicich - njs @