Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: re-appearing old mail?
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:49:27 -0400
To: abuse @ rr . com, postmaster @ rr . com, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 10:59 PM 2002-06-15 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Nick Simicich wrote,

| The origin of the mail is set back to the user in the "From:" line or to
| some odd variation of that user.
|
| My belief is that the end user is re-injecting the mail.  The mail is going
| to the end user, some sort of script is run and then, after minutes or
| hours, the mail is reinjected.

About three or four years ago I saw the same thing happening on two lists
running on eGroups (before it became Yahoo Groups).  The messages were not
redistributed but rather bounced because the list's Mailing-List: or
the reinjecter had reset From_ to match From:, so they were bounced to their
original authors.

When I thought it was only one person and only one list, I assumed that it was the user. I think I was wrong. It is happening all over and the common point is rr.com.
[...]
All I can say is the obvious: kick the culprit off the list and reserve
judgment about the provider unless there are future incidents from other
members in that domain.

The problem is that this is suddenly happening to a lot of southeast rr.com addresses - on my list, on spam-l, to other people here, and so forth. It is beginning to seem like it is an ISP issue, and it is not at all clear what the ISP would be doing, reinjecting the mail with a bad mail from:<> nor why they are doing this suddenly for a range of users.

It does seem we should be copying abuse @
rr .
com and postmaster @
rr .
com in the hope that they will fix their problem.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill
Nick Simicich - njs @