Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 2002)

Subject: Re: re-appearing old mail?
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:32:18 -0400
To: Byron Lunz <bklunz @ databack . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Yes, from the same general area, and from a particular user on a particular list. Since I am running Mj2, all of the duplicates were caught because the headers were too large and because the message IDs were duplicates. Both of these (by default) cause Mj2 to hold the mail for approval by the moderator and to try and notify the sending user.

All had the following more or less in common:

This is where they sent it back to me.

  parrot.squawk.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 600BD103BA4 for
  <list @
listhost .
net>; Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:43:28 -0400 (EDT)

This seems to be where they bounced it around.

  SMTPSVC; Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:39:38 -0400

There is a more or less significant delay between the below line and the one above - I assume that the one above is the reinjection.

  with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.5.1877.757.75); Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:27:04
  -0400

This is their system getting the mail - the same user is always involved --- the user's id begins with the letter "L",

  ncmx01.mgw.rr.com (8.12.2/8.12.2) with ESMTP id g5BEKs3o024282 for
  <constantuser @
nc .
rr .
com>; Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:20:55 -0400 (EDT)

Constantuser is always the same user, I don't feel free to reveal the user's complete address or the complete list id so I put in list @
listhost .

The origin of the mail is set back to the user in the "From:" line or to some odd variation of that user.

My belief is that the end user is re-injecting the mail. The mail is going to the end user, some sort of script is run and then, after minutes or hours, the mail is reinjected.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone here sees this as a user or server issue. I see it as a user issue since there is always one user involved and since the re-injection delay is variable. But knowing it is happening on multiple other lists is interesting. It only happens with this one user on one of my lists.