Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 2002)

Subject: Re: hotmail problems?
From: Roger Burton West <roger @ firedrake . org>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:19:36 +0100
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 03:31:42AM -0400, Omar Thameen wrote:
>I'm seeing lots of deferred mail to hotmail due to the inability to
>establish an SMTP connection.  Sometimes, the logs show an "out of
>memory" error.

I've been seeing this for about five weeks - all MXes off line at the
same time, for an extended period. From my logs, it doesn't appear to
have got noticeably worse in the last week or so.

I have been actively discouraging the use of a hotmail address on my
mailing lists since October; there's far too high a rate of hotmail
accepting and then silently swallowing the message. (Not consistently,
so it's probably not a misguided spamfilter, but this is a possibility.)

Roger