Subject: Re: Cute new hoax
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman @ imc . org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:17:48 -0700
To: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>, list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 11:37 AM -0400 5/31/01, murr rhame wrote:
I figured the warning was a hoax
but what does SULFNBK.EXE do?

It's a Windows core utility that lives in c:\Windows\Command.

The funny thing about all this is that it is a *partial* hoax. According to Symantec at <http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html>, there is a virus that can arrive in a file of that name. The hoax may or may not be related to that real virus. The hoax's supposed solution (delete the file without checking it for a virus) is obviously bogus, but completely understandable.

How does this relate to what we allow and don't allow on our lists? Assume that the first message on your list says "this file is a virus file; just delete it" (and assume that your list is not about viruses or hoaxes). Do you:
- research it to see if it is hoax (wasting your listmom time yet again)?
- cut off the discussion as being off topic, even though a follow-up to this message will save many of your subscribers butts because they read the first message? - let the thread run for "a while" and then cut it off, making you look not really on top of things?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium