Subject: Re: test messages etc
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:42:51 -0700
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wednesday, May 30, 2001, at 12:23 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

 There is a
general perception of the list archives as being the field's library
and historical archive.

In the end I look at it as questions of public record.

I agree with that, but I don't agree that this implies a need for it to be in the global search engines.

but it's an interesting question to explore. Because if you're in the global engines, it's not only a public record, it's potential marketing and advertising. But to do that, you have to do something about those email addresses to protect them. But if you do, you make it tough for someone who sees a message in the archive to write for (or with!) more info that the author might find useful.

What's do folks think about this? What kind of address munging is adequate? Or should addresses be fully cloaked, or perhaps accessible only through some CGI? Imagine inserting those addresses in a CGI, and you can only e-mail through a lookup through the database -- you could then track (and ban) abusers, and limit how much of that address data a user could get to.

That might, thinking about it, also deal with the problem of people setting up outside, unapproved archives without permission if they're grabbing them from the master archive. It wouldn't solve folks who generate archives directly from the mail list deliveries, though. Unless you wanted ot munch all e-mail addresses in all cases, and we don't want to go there.

[<chuqui @
plaidworks .
com> = <me @
chuqui .
com> = <chuq @
apple .
com>]

How about never?  Is never good for you?