Subject: Re: test message,or reply's to, which worse?
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:19:17 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List-Managers)

On 12:26 PM 5/29/01, David W. Tamkin wrote:

>That would be nice, but so far any MUA has to rely on the article's headers
>to do that, so "no matter how the list itself is configured" is unachievable.
>(Mutt gives it a good try, as I understand.)  The list has to be configured
>in a way that gives the MUA a fighting chance.

Right. That's why I'd like an RFC that specifies how lists could send headers that make it clear which header contains the "list address" and which contain the "author address". Then the client would know which is which, and the user could select the appropriate reply address, preferably before, during, and/or when the user is done composing a reply.

That's the way to FIX the user interface problem to give ordinary people a good chance to select the reply option that meets their particular needs for any given message.