Subject: Re: test messages etc
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:43:22 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 02:27 PM 5/28/2001 -0400, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>On 28 May 2001, at 10:48, Tom Neff wrote:
>
>> ...If you don't want to force people to join
>> before they can look up good info from your list postings, make searchable
>> archives available on the web.  If they want to post, they can join.
>
>If you're going to do this, *dont*forget* to 'sanitize' the messages
>before you put them up on the web site.  It is hard to tell for sure, but
>on one list I'm on the evidence was pretty strong that a spammer
>harvested list-email-addrs from the online archives.

My current method is to require a well known userid and password to access
the archives, on the principle that every gleaner is stymied by having to
use basic authentication.

So far that seems to have worked - my web logs seem to show no gleaners
working them.  I do occasionally get notes asking what the password is,
even though it is given in both the pages that link to it (and now, and
this seems to have cut about 1/2 the requests, in the error message
returned when authentication fails).

I have heard that people claim that having the archives behind a form that
requires a "post" action will effectively keep gleaners out.  It would
certainly be friendlier to have a lot of post pushbuttons to get to the
archives than to require that the user type in a userid and password.  (I
read the later letters about sympa, that sounds interesting).

By the way, since many people have given their opinion about tests, my
reaction to a test message is to unsub the tester and to invite them to
resubscribe "when their mail is fixed".  I remind them that the list is not
a place to test their e-mail.

My experence is colored by incidents where people have posted test after
test because their inbound mail is broken, and they never see the response,
and where 10 tests arrive all at once when people's outbound mail is
broken.  I invite them to bounce posts off of the majordomo userid if they
need to test mail round trips to my server.

--
Pasta is really just kibble, boiled until soft.
Nick Simicich mailto:njs @