Subject: Re: protecting archives from harvesters (was test messages)
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 01:48:35 -0400
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 05:22:31PM -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> Yes. That's why I'm looking for better ways to protect an archive but
> make it easy for legitimate users to get to it. The spambots force my
> hand (IMHO) in protecting them, but putting them behind a password is
> awkward. I've tried a few other things, but nothing worth talking
> about, so I'm still looking.

Nothing worth talking about?  Bah.

We have three different mechanisms in place to keep harvesters out:

1. Apache rewrite rules to deliver 404 errors to User-Agents known
   to be evil (e.g. EmailSiphon).

2. A hacked copy of Ron Guilmette's Wpoison tool that blackholes
   packets from sites which appear to be running rogue spiders.

3. On-the-fly munging of e-mail addresses into HTML entities (e.g.
   twp @
 rootsweb .
 com becomes &#116;&#119;&#112;&#64;.... etc.)

In six months, the trap addresses I have seeded our pages with have
not been spammed.  You can see the results at
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/.