Subject: Re: protecting archives from harvesters (was test messages)
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:53:24 -0700
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman @ imc . org>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 07:09 PM, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
Just a thought. The idea is to stop the automatic harvesters; you can't really stop the humans, they'll just join the list to get the password. So you could write on the page leading to the archives "The archive is password-protected, and the user name is 'foo' and the password is 'bar'; we did this to reduce the chance that the archive will be harvested."

That's pretty much what I did. I still get questions from people who blow past that, hit the password prompt, and then write the admin for help...

[<chuqui @
plaidworks .
com> = <me @
chuqui .
com> = <chuq @
apple .
com>]

The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging.