Subject: Re: protecting archives from harvesters (was test messages)
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman @ imc . org>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 19:09:41 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 5:22 PM -0700 5/28/01, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
 On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 04:05 PM, David W. Tamkin wrote:

So, Chuq, may I ask: do you get a lot of "What's the archive password?" re-
quests from list members or others with legitimate rights to visit them?

Yes. That's why I'm looking for better ways to protect an archive but make it easy for legitimate users to get to it. The spambots force my hand (IMHO) in protecting them, but putting them behind a password is awkward. I've tried a few other things, but nothing worth talking about, so I'm still looking.

Just a thought. The idea is to stop the automatic harvesters; you can't really stop the humans, they'll just join the list to get the password. So you could write on the page leading to the archives "The archive is password-protected, and the user name is 'foo' and the password is 'bar'; we did this to reduce the chance that the archive will be harvested."

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium