Subject: Re: test messages etc
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:09:11 -0700
To: Roger Burton West <roger @ firedrake . org>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 11:47 AM, Roger Burton West wrote:

It is IMHO impossible to filter effectively for this sort of thing.

I dunno about that. I've done it, I think it was done quite effectively. The tricks are to keep what you filter to an absolute minimum, and filter very, very carefully -- and monitor it so you know what's filtering properly and what's generating false positives. Anything generating more than the occasional false positive fix or remove.

For me, I tried to keep the filtering to a very limited set of terms -- things which I, frankly, saw no purpose on my lists under any circumstance. At the widest, it was seven or eight terms, and some of those were variations of the same word done to get around the false positive issue.

If
it's really that important, human moderation seems to be the only way
to go.

Human moderation is always going to be necessary in some cases, but it's nice to take the standard cases and automate them, because I dunno about you, I like having a life away from babysitting mail lists. I'd rather spend my time on useful stuff, not robotic work.

[<chuqui @ plaidworks . com> = <me @ chuqui . com> = <chuq @ apple . com>]

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh
nervously and change the subject.