Subject: Re: test message,or reply's to, which worse?
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:24:16 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 08:16 AM 5/28/01, David W. Tamkin wrote:

>Blind faith in reply-to-all to do the right thing magically without the
>user's reviewing its choices is not perfect either.  We agree that no mail
>client has a "read my mind, know all of netiquette, know the list rules,
>predict the text I plan to type, know the preferences of the poster to whom
>I'm replying, and figure out the exact right way to address my response"
>command.

Hmmm. It seems we have an opportunity to write an RFC that would spec a "reply-to-list" header and a "reply-to-author" header, and discuss how to implement selection of these two reply options in common email clients. When the reader has two "reply to" buttons active when reading any given list post, and can easily and quickly click on the appropriate button for the reply they plan to send (or even change it later, while composing, if the reply changes tone while they are writing), it would make it a lot easier for everyone to send the reply where they want it to go.

Or has this already been done? I'm a bit behind in keeping up with email related RFCs.

jc