Subject: Re: test messages etc
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:56:44 -0700
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I used to use bushels of filters, now I don't need any of them.

I used to, also. When I moved from majordomo to mailman, I dropped all of them, to see which ones it made sense to put back (if any).

Based on user feedback, the filters my users WANT are:

o a filter to trap people who reply to digests without changing the subject o a filter to trap people who reply to digests or messages without editing the included message.

That's about it. When I implement this, I'm going to add one more filter, and that's a language filter, because there are a few words that I feel are never appropriate for my mailing lists (one rhymes with duck, another rhymes with tigger) -- but you need to be very careful here, because otherwise you can really upset people like my friend Igor Livshits....

The other thing that seems to bother people, based on a couple of small informal surveys and user feedback, are administrative messages ("remove me", "unsub..." etc) going to the list. Test messages just don't seem to bother my users much, as long as they're not happening often.

your mileage will vary.

(One thing I found interesting -- when I made the move from majordomo to mailman and removed all of my filters, I had at least six people who'd written me complaining about the filters write me again, and tell me that now that they were gone, they wanted me to put them back. Issues of the lesser evil...)

[<chuqui @
plaidworks .
com> = <me @
chuqui .