Subject: Re: test message,or reply's to, which worse?
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:16:37 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Keith Flippin wrote,

| ...  so many lists now set the Reply-To: to sender ...

Not my experience.  Nearly all lists on Yahoogroups and Topica are set RTL
because greenhorn listowners think "it encourages discussion" or "it makes
it easier" and others who learn the drawbacks give in to members who are
used to the tyros' lists and object to having to learn a different habit for
a different list.  I'd have to say that the RTS/RTL ratio has plummeted.

| I still won't munge Reply-To:
| on my list, but virtually every zubscriber I have whose been on the list
| less than 6 years has learned the habit of always using their
| Reply-To-All feature. So not only does the list get replies to spam, but
| so does everyone in the To:/Cc: chain, which tends to grow directly with
| the length of the resulting thread.

Blind faith in reply-to-all to do the right thing magically without the
user's reviewing its choices is not perfect either.  We agree that no mail
client has a "read my mind, know all of netiquette, know the list rules,
predict the text I plan to type, know the preferences of the poster to whom
I'm replying, and figure out the exact right way to address my response"
command.