Subject: Re: test message,or reply's to, which worse?
From: Keith Flippin <kflippin @ pond . com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:12:03 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

"David W. Tamkin" wrote:

> Albert Zegiel, or maybe Brenda Zegiel, wrote,
>
> | another pet peeve of mine is Spam, yours too, but what IRKS me
> | worse is the 99 replies to the spammer to a list, why can not the
> | community members write the spammer in person?
>
> First guess: because you are munging Reply-To:.

Not these days. That may have been true once upon a time, but so many
lists now set the Reply-To: to sender (like this one, and the one I run)
that people have just adapted, and badly. I still won't munge Reply-To:
on my list, but virtually every zubscriber I have whose been on the list
less than 6 years has learned the habit of always using their
Reply-To-All feature. So not only does the list get replies to spam, but
so does everyone in the To:/Cc: chain, which tends to grow directly with
the length of the resulting thread.

This, at least, is my experience. In some cases, I think it's almost
worse than just munging, but I'm an anal standards-compliance weenie, so
I'm not changing the headers without a far better reason.

--

<kflippin @
 indole .