From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 18 May 2001 23:37:26 -0700
To: list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

> A while back I redid my list rules, I decided to change it. I now outlaw
> posting chain letters or e-mail hoaxes. While I still think virus
> warnings are off-topic for my lists, I just can't convince myself to
> yell at someone for warning people about a real virus, especially if
> he's sending along a note saying "I caught this, it sent itself to all
> of my address book, so watch out!" (even though my lists strip all that
> stuff, I think it's unreasonable to expect users to know that when
> they're recovering from one of these beasties.

The manual ones are one thing; I don't mind those as much.  The automated
ones, on the other hand, are reason to disconnect the e-mail systems that
send out the damn things from the rest of the Internet before they do more
damage, particularly since they *love* sending mail to mailing lists.

--
Russ Allbery (rra @
 stanford .