From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:10:15 -0700
To: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Friday, May 18, 2001, at 06:36 PM, Tim Pierce wrote:

The parent company did that a couple of months ago.  Any mail that
did not list the recipient in the `To' or `Cc' headers would be
rejected.  Our own users could not receive mailing list messages
THAT WE SENT THEM, until I explained the mechanics of the situation.

Most amusing.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a custom list-server (which is still humming away nicely and shipping a few thousand postings a day...) where we decided to do away with Bcc, because it allowed us to merge stuff mailed to multiple lists so users only got one copy, since we kept getting complaints about that....

After putting it into production, we found out just how many people (and programs, and bots, and.... not to mention all mail lists that don't VERP) mail using Bcc (about 5% of all messages, it turns out...). So we changed it back, quickly....

filtering by BCC may be one of the WORST ways of trying to filter spam...

-
[<chuqui @
plaidworks .
com> = <me @
chuqui .
com> = <chuq @
apple .
com>]

Any connection between your reality and mine
is purely coincidental.