From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:45:30 -0700
To: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>, Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Friday, May 18, 2001, at 06:25 PM, Tim Pierce wrote:

We still bounce some fair number of virus notifications from our
mailing lists.  Part of me would prefer, in principle, not to bounce
them.  The other part says, who cares?

Back when they were all pretty much bogus, I took a real hard line on this stuff.

A while back I redid my list rules, I decided to change it. I now outlaw posting chain letters or e-mail hoaxes. While I still think virus warnings are off-topic for my lists, I just can't convince myself to yell at someone for warning people about a real virus, especially if he's sending along a note saying "I caught this, it sent itself to all of my address book, so watch out!" (even though my lists strip all that stuff, I think it's unreasonable to expect users to know that when they're recovering from one of these beasties.

This allows me to yell at folks who don't do basic research (my rules have direct links to both Symantec and CIAC, so they don't even have to think about where to research stuff...), but doesn't require me to do so to people who are legitimately passing along info (I might still take them aside privately, depending on the situation).

We spent years trying to educate people not to believe "virus
warnings" that they got in e-mail anyway, since 99% of the time
they're the Budweiser Frogs hoax.  Warnings about a *real* virus
will come to them through other channels.

Except these days, I see very, very few hoax mails, and lots of "I caught this, it sent itself to everytone on my list, and you're one of them...". And to me, that's a whole different kettle of fish...

[<chuqui @
plaidworks .
com> = <me @
chuqui .
com> = <chuq @
apple .
com>]

"He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier."