From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:25:10 -0400
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Cc: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 02:04:36PM -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2001, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> > Is this for real?  I occasionally get a message that has "IL*VEYOU" in it
> > with a note saying that they munged it so that their message wont kick
> > off virus-catchers... but that's SO ineffective I couldn't imagine that
> > *sysops* actually did that kind of thing.
>
> Before the content filtering capabilities were added to Sendmail Switch,
> many customers were implementing MTA-side filters that did, in fact,
> bounce as many legit virus notifications as the virii themselves.

We still bounce some fair number of virus notifications from our
mailing lists.  Part of me would prefer, in principle, not to bounce
them.  The other part says, who cares?

We spent years trying to educate people not to believe "virus
warnings" that they got in e-mail anyway, since 99% of the time
they're the Budweiser Frogs hoax.  Warnings about a *real* virus
will come to them through other channels.